Blackened Tofu Tacos
with pineapple salsa / green beans
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick strips (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Thyme leaves, fresh - 1 tsp
- Cajun / blackening seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Sour cream - for serving
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 cups , diced
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Shallots - 1 cloves , diced
- Cilantro - 2 tsp , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Trim. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make salsa - Combine pineapple, jalapenos, shallots, cilantro, and rice vinegar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Limes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Spread green beans out on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil and some salt and pepper. Roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
While the green beans roast, gently stir the first portion of cooking oil into the tofu. Add the thyme leaves and Cajun / blackening seasoning and stir gently to coat.
Heat a large skillet with the second portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add the tofu and sear on all sides until the seasoning becomes a dark crust. Add a splash of water if the tofu starts to stick to the pan. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes total.
Warm the tortillas according to package directions.
Divide the tofu between warm tortillas. Add avocados, pineapple salsa, and sour cream. Serve green beans on the side and squeeze lime wedges over everything. Enjoy!