Savory Waffle with Ham and Cheddar
with tomatoes / fried eggs
- Ham, deli-sliced - 2 oz , finely chopped
- Cheese, shredded cheddar - 1 cup
- Green onions - 2 stalks , finely chopped, white and green parts combined, plus more for topping
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped (sub cherry or grape tomatoes)
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Milk - 1 cup
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1/2 cup (use one that is a 1:1 replacement for all-purpose)
- Cornmeal, finely ground - 1/2 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
To make the waffles, melt butter (45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Whisk together the melted butter, eggs (portion for waffles), and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine. Gently fold ham, green onions, and cheese into the waffle batter.
Following your waffle maker instructions, pour the batter into the waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Cook until waffles are golden brown on the outside and cooked through. Continue until all of the waffle batter has been cooked.
While the waffles are cooking, heat a nonstick skillet with oil over low-medium heat. Crack the eggs into the heated oil and fry on one side for sunny-side up or flip for over-easy.
Serve the eggs over or on the side of the waffles with tomatoes on top. Season the eggs with some salt and pepper and top with additional green onions if you'd like. Enjoy!