Eggplant and Zucchini Sauteover couscous
This simple saute can be made with any veggie combination but we chose to combine eggplant and zucchini in tonight's version. Spooned over couscous (or quinoa for our GF'ers or salmon for our Paleo'ers), this is a simple weeknight dinner.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Eggplant - 1 lb, chopped ((Any variety can work))
- Zucchini - 4, chopped
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained ((~2 cups))
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Couscous - 1 cup, uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked))
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- If not already done from Monday, prepare couscous by combining butter and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Stir in couscous and some salt. Cover and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes until couscous has absorbed all the liquid. Fluff with a fork.
- Preheat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in oil and then garlic and onions. Saute for ~3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add in eggplant and zucchini with a dash of salt, capers, and crushed tomatoes. Saute until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, paprika, and oregano. Turn off heat and finish with lemon juice. If you want the veggie saute to be creamier, you can add a dollop of yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy over couscous.
This meal has 25 reviews
This was very bland. Not that great.
As a caper lover, I would double the capers next time...they were a highlight.
Had this with some of the left over chicken. Super yummy!
This was really bland & definitely NOT popular with the rest of my family, either.
I added salsa and black olives to the dish. Great!