Persian Chicken Thighs
with couscous / cucumber and pomegranate salad
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , sliced
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup , plus extra for serving
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Foil (opt) - for roasting
- Stock, any type - 1 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Cucumbers - 1 lb , diced (preferably a seedless variety, like English cucumbers)
- Mint leaves (opt) - 6 , chopped
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/4 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section; sub chopped nuts or skip)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
Make couscous - Combine stock, salt (portion for couscous), and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Onions - Slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while chicken marinates.) Combine onions, yogurt, olive oil (portion for chicken), lemon juice (portion for chicken), cumin, turmeric, salt (portion for chicken), and ground cinnamon. Add chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Line a sheet pan with foil (optional, but will make clean up easy) or brush with some cooking oil. Spread chicken and onions out on prepared sheet pan (no need to drain off marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
Transfer sheet pan with chicken and onions to the oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 35 minutes (depending on size). The chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
When chicken is nearly done roasting, toss together cucumbers, mint (if using), pomegranate seeds, olive oil (portion for salad), and lemon juice (portion for salad). Season with some salt.
If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve chicken and onions over couscous with salad on the side. Enjoy!