Moroccan Bean Soup
with carrots, roasted red peppers, and chickpeas
This hearty Morrocan soup, which last appeared in a meal plan in 2022, will keep you warm and full, with sweet roasted peppers and alluring North African spices.
Smarts: Roasted bell peppers bring a wonderfully sweet and complex flavor to this dish. You can find pre-roasted red bell peppers in a glass jar in the canned vegetables aisle, so you can bring depth of flavor without having to turn the oven on or fire up the grill.
- Carrots - 2 , diced
- Shallots - 1 , finely chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , finely chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 1/2 cup , drained and roughly chopped
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 Tbsp , picked leaves
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, navy (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp (sub apple cider or white wine vinegar)
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Crusty bread, for serving (opt) - 4 slices
Carrots / Shallots / Garlic / Roasted Bell Peppers / Thyme - Prep as directed. Combine carrots, shallots, and garlic in one container. Store bell peppers and thyme in their own separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a large sauce pan or Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add carrots, shallots, and garlic and saute until starting to turn tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and tomato paste and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
Add cumin, coriander, ginger, red pepper flakes, thyme leaves, and some black pepper.
Add sherry vinegar, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add beans and stock. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until warmed through ~5 minutes.
Serve soup with crusty bread and top with some additional thyme leaves, if you like. Enjoy!