Turkey & Pico de Gallo Tacos
with cumin and coriander carrots
These turkey tacos are simply flavored with some spices but topped with fresh homemade pico de gallo (tomato salsa), they feel like a restaurant treat. Plus, there will be enough turkey leftover for Thursday's salad! Our paleo version features them topped over portobellos and our veggie version roasts up tofu and tosses them hot out of the oven in the same spice mix.
Turkey Tacos with Pico de Gallo:
- Lean ground turkey - 2 1/4 lbs
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Roma tomatoes - 6 , chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 to 2 , diced
- Cilantro - 1/2 bunch , chopped
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Tortillas - 8
Cumin and Coriander Carrots:
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Baby carrots - 1 lb ((Or just chop / peel 1 lb. of carrots))
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Red wine or sherry vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Ground turkey - This makes enough for Thursday’s dinner. Season ground turkey with salt, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, and paprika. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos (if using) / Cilantro (for pico de gallo and carrots) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Pico de gallo - Mix tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Cover and let sit in the fridge until ready for serving. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Place carrots into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 3 to 4 ½ minutes until tender but still crunchy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, add in ground turkey, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon. Saute until broken into smaller pieces, 4 to 6 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until meat gets cooked through.
- Whisk together cumin and coriander (for carrots) with honey, vinegar, cilantro, and olive oil. Toss with warmed carrots.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Top tacos with pico de gallo and enjoy with carrots. Remember to save ½ the turkey for Thursday’s dinner.