Sausage and Cauliflower Gnocchi Soup
with mushrooms / kale
Much of the rich, earthy flavor of this soup that was last featured in 2019 comes from browning mushrooms in the pan before any other ingredients are added.
Smarts #1: This soup is absolutely loaded with ingredients, so you'll need the full amount of stock listed. Leaving the lid on and slightly ajar while the soup simmers will help prevent too much liquid from evaporating off during cooking.
Smarts #2: Paleo-friendly cauliflower gnocchi are becoming increasingly popular and can be found in the freezer section of many grocery stores. If you can't find them, substitute fresh or frozen cauliflower florets.
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Kale, any type - 4 leaves , leaves and stems chopped and kept separate
- Sausage, pre-cooked or smoked - 12 oz , diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 7 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cauliflower gnocchi - 8 oz (sub fresh or frozen cauliflower florets)
Heat a large Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. (Don’t rush this step. Browning the mushrooms will add flavor to the soup.)
To the mushrooms, add sausage, onions, kale stems (reserve leaves), Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and some salt. Saute until onions are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Add vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Stir in kale leaves, stock, and tomatoes (including liquid).
Bring soup to a simmer. When soup is simmering, add the lid to the pan and reduce heat to low. (If the soup bubbles over, move the lid so it is slightly ajar.) Simmer soup, covered, for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
Remove lid and add cauliflower gnocchi or florets. Simmer until tender, 2 to 3 minutes for cauliflower gnocchi and 7 to 8 minutes for florets.
When soup is finished, season with some salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!