Mediterranean Chicken Packets
with couscous and cucumber yogurt
We use the same fish en papillote technique for chicken breasts. Since they're halved and flavored with some mediterranean spices, they'll steam up for a tender, flavorful finish. Our vegetarian option features a mediterranean lentil salad over couscous.
- Chicken breasts - 2, halved
- Parchment paper or foil - 4 18" sheets
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Red peppers - 1
- Olives - 2 oz, sliced ((Black or green are fine))
- Lemons - 1 1/2, 1 - sliced, 1/2 - juice of
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, cubed
- Plain yogurt - 2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Couscous - 1 cup, uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked))
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Parchment paper or foil - Prepare 18" (45 cm) wide sheets. For parchment paper, stack, fold in half, and then cut into angular heart shapes (diagram below or see video). If you’re using foil, there’s no need to do this. (Can be done ahead of time)
- Spices - Mix together garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and salt and sprinkle on both sides of chicken breast halves.
- Red peppers / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees.
- Divide and place red pepper, chicken breast halves, olives, and lemon slices onto one half of each of your sheets of foil or parchment. Fold foil or parchment over to enclose ingredients. Crimp the edges of the foil to form a tight seal or fold the edges of the parchment. Repeat for rest of fillets. Refer to our en papillote video to see how folding is done. This could also be a fun kids activity too!
- Place packets onto a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While packets are baking, prepare couscous by combining butter and water (1x the amount of couscous) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Stir in couscous and some salt. Cover and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes until couscous has absorbed all the liquid. Fluff with a fork.
- Chop cucumbers and combine with yogurt and lemon juice.
- Enjoy chicken with yogurt and couscous.
We LOVE this meal!! Will definitely be a staple in our home! Alterations: along with the lemon slice, I squeezed lemon juice onto the chicken before putting the spices on. Also doubled the spice mixture, and doubled the olives and peppers too. Doing it this way gave LOTS of flavor! Fresh, healthy tasting meal!0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this. Also found foil bake takes about 25 mins and only used half quantity of yoghurt with cucumber. Mint would be a good addition.0 Helpful
The chicken was good it just needed more flavor.0 Helpful
It made way too much yogurt (which I think of as a dip)... so next time would cut way back on that. Also, I don't really like olives, and almost skipped them... but don't! I think they are really necessary for the flavor of this meal. Chicken was perfection. Yum. Also... make more chicken next time.0 Helpful
not a ton of flavor0 Helpful
If I made it again, I would be more aggressive with the spices and splurge for Greek yogurt.0 Helpful