Linguine with Shrimp and Clams
and green salad with citrus
This classic Italian pasta with seafood, which we last featured in 2018, allows a few key ingredients to shine. There's no need to make a separate sauce for the dish since the cooking liquid gains plenty of flavor from garlic, wine, parsley, and lemons.
Smarts #1: If you prefer not to use both clams and shrimp in this recipe, feel free to just use one protein.
Smarts #2: Because the flavors are so simple and clean in this recipe, be sure to season to taste with salt or add some more lemon before serving.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 12 oz
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Clams, small and in shell, fresh or frozen - 12 oz , scrubbed and rinsed (sub mussels)
- Pasta, linguini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- White wine - 1/4 cup (use a dry white wine or sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges, blood - 1 , segments (sub regular oranges or canned mandarin oranges)
- Salad greens, any type - 4 oz
- Almonds, slivered or sliced - 1/4 cup
Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Oranges / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately.
Clams - If using fresh clams, scrub the shells (this will remove any grit / sand) and rinse well under cool water. (Skip this step if using frozen.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and boil according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup / 59 mL pasta water (amount for 4 servings; adjust if customizing).
While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan with olive oil (portion for pasta) over medium heat. Add clams, red pepper flakes, and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add wine and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes (if using frozen clams, add 3 to 4 minutes to allow clams to defrost and start heating through).
Add shrimp and cover the pan with a lid or foil. Continue simmering until shrimp are opaque and clams have opened, 3 to 4 minutes more.
Drain pasta (remember to reserve pasta water).
Add pasta and reserved water to clams. Stir in parsley. Grate lemon zest and squeeze lemon juice over pasta. Toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
Toss oranges, salad greens, and almonds with vinaigrette.
Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!