Stir-fried Udon Noodles
with chicken and broccoli
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 1/4 lbs, sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Udon noodles - 1/2 lb ((Look for these in the ethnic aisle))
- Eggs - 2
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Make marinade - Mix together first part of soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar.
- Chicken - Slice chicken, cover with marinade, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Udon - Cook udon noodles according to packaged instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
- Place broccoli in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes 30 seconds. This just helps the broccoli cook way faster later.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Toss and cook until golden on the outside and cooked in the inside (just slice a piece open to tell). Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to medium heat. Add in second part of oil and then garlic, white parts of green onions, and whisked eggs to heated oil. Lightly scramble.
- While the eggs are still runny, toss in broccoli, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until broccoli is cooked through, tender but with a crunch still.
- Add noodles, chicken (and all the juices), second part of soy sauce and rice vinegar to wok. Toss until everything is coated. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more soy sauce or even hot sauce (like Sriracha). Serve with green parts of green onions.
Liked...I liked the egg addition - 8 year old didn’t but overall liked0 Helpful
Double up the noodles next time. Very good though. Not a favourite with the kids but Jacob and I really liked it0 Helpful
Fantastic! Even somewhat picky eaters who aren't wild about broccoli (read: kids) ate this up.0 Helpful
Made it with no garlic or fish sauce and the kids loved it!0 Helpful
This was a little boring compared to the other meals.0 Helpful
Kind of boring and bland, way too much broccoli but decent with some spice added.0 Helpful