Curried Chickpea Salad Pita Pockets
with baby carrots
- Almonds, sliced - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain yogurt)
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Celery - 1 stalk , thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Currants (opt) - 2 Tbsp (sub golden raisins)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , thinly sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 4 leaves
- Pita pockets / rounds - 4
- Baby carrots - 12 oz
Toast almonds - Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and toast, stirring frequently, until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make curry sauce - Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, curry powder, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Celery - Thinly slice celery. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make chickpea salad - Chop cilantro. Drain and rinse beans. Transfer beans to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or masher. Add almonds, celery, cilantro, and currants (if using). Add curry sauce until the chickpea salad is as creamy as you’d like it. (Note: You likely will not need to add all of the sauce, so reserve any that remains.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
Halve pita pockets and toast in a toaster or under the oven’s broiler for about 2 minutes.
Give chickpea salad a stir. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (If the salad was made ahead, you may want to add a bit more curry sauce.)
Fill pita pockets with tomatoes, lettuce, and chickpea salad.
Serve pitas with carrot sticks on the side. Dip carrots in any curry sauce that wasn’t used in the chickpea salad. Enjoy!