Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken Ramen
with bok choy / shiitakes
Made entirely in the slow cooker, this ramen develops rich, savory flavor.
Smarts: This is a great use of extra vegetables you want to use up. Just add them to the slow cooker with the other vegetables.
- Bok choy - 1 lb , chopped, leaves and stems separate (sub baby bok choy or zucchini)
- Garlic - 5 cloves , chopped
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp , peeled and grated or minced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 5 oz , sliced or chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken breasts)
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup
- Noodles, dried ramen - 6 oz
- Oil, toasted sesame - for serving
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Mushrooms - Slice or chop mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Slow cook ramen - Place chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker. Whisk together garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, and miso paste. Pour this seasoning over the chicken. Add mushrooms, the stems of the bok choy (reserve the tender leaves), and stock on top. Slow cook on low for 4 hours.
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
When the chicken is done cooking, turn up the heat to high. Remove the chicken (leave the stock in the bowl) and transfer to a cutting board. Slice or shred the chicken.
Add the noodles to the slow cooker along with the chopped chicken and bok choy leaves. Cover and simmer on high until the noodles are tender, 10 to 20 minutes. (The time will vary depending on the type of noodles you use and the temperature of your slow cooker.)
Ladle the ramen into bowls. Drizzle each bowl with some toasted sesame oil and hot sauce (if using). Serve ramen with limes and cilantro on the side for garnishing and flavoring bowls. Enjoy!