Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
with mushrooms / spinach
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add sausage and saute until sausage is breaking apart and nearly cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over sausage and aromatics. Add bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
Simmer soup for 5 to 7 minutes to let flavors come together. Stir in spinach leaves and let simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
Divide soup between serving bowls. Enjoy!