Middle Eastern Fried Rice with Chickpeas
and peas / carrots
This fried rice, last featured in 2019, is probably not like any you've had before. A Middle Eastern spice mix gives it a unique and exotic flavor. Top the rice with raisins, lemon juice, pine nuts, and yogurt for an authentic finish.
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Harissa paste - 2 tsp (sub tomato paste with a few drops of hot sauce)
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cauliflower / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lemons - Prep as directed.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
Toss cauliflower with cooking oil and spice mix.
Return pan to heat and add seasoned cauliflower. Saute for 1 minute. Add water and cover pan with a lid. Steam cauliflower for 3 minutes until nearly tender. Remove lid and add garlic. Continue cooking until cauliflower is tender.
Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
Stir in rice, beans, soy sauce, and harissa until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
Divide rice between serving plates and top with yogurt and pine nuts. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra harissa on the side.