BBQ Tofu Sandwiches
with red cabbage and carrot slaw
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm slices (vacuum packed preferable)
- BBQ sauce - 1/2 cup (use your favorite store-bought)
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cabbage, red - 12 oz , sliced
- Carrots - 10 oz , grated (look for pre-grated to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , green parts only, chopped
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 0.5” / 1.3 cm thick pieces. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make dressing for slaw - In a saucepan, combine apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and water. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until reduced by half. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cabbage (slice with a knife or food processor) / Carrots / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Dress slaw - Toss cabbage, carrots, and green onions with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat up a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil and then place tofu onto heated grates. Sear on each side for 4 to 6 minutes each, brushing tofu generously with BBQ sauce as it cooks.
Give slaw a stir and season with some salt.
Enjoy BBQed tofu in sandwiches with slaw and some extra BBQ sauce if you’d like! You’ll have more slaw than is needed for sandwiches, so have some on the side, too.