Chicken Green Curry
with broccoli / cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head , florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 16 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Lemongrass, fresh - 2 stalks , grated or finely chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves (opt) - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, green - 2 Tbsp , more or less, to taste
- Coconut milk, regular (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (use regular, not light, for the most flavor)
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Honey (opt) - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce or Sriracha - for serving
Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Chicken - Slice chicken and tenderize with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
In a large nonstick stockpot, wok, or Dutch oven, heat first portion of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and let it cook on one side until golden brown. Turn chicken, cooking it on all sides until evenly cooked, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and return the pan to heat.
In the heated pan add the second portion of oil and then garlic, lemongrass, and curry paste. Saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, and honey. Bring to a simmer.
Stir the broccoli into the curry broth and simmer until it is tender but still has some crunch, 3 to 4 minutes. The broccoli won't be completely covered in liquid, so stir it occasionally to make sure that all of the broccoli has some time to simmer in the liquids. (Note: You can cover the pot with a lid to speed this step up a bit.)
Stir the chicken back into the curry. Squeeze half the lime wedges over top. Taste and season with some additional fish sauce or honey if you'd like it saltier or sweeter.
If the cauliflower rice was cooked ahead, reheat it in the microwave.
Divide the cauliflower rice between serving bowls. Ladle curry over the cauliflower rice and top with cilantro leaves. Serve the curry with hot sauce and remaining lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!