Tofu Green Curry
with broccoli / brown rice
- Brown rice, uncooked - 1 cup
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , cubed (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Broccoli - 16 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Lemongrass, fresh - 2 stalks , grated or finely chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup , defrosted
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves (opt) - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, green - 2 Tbsp , more or less, to taste
- Coconut milk, regular (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (use regular, not light, for the most flavor)
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce or Sriracha - for serving
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Rice - (Double if making Thursday's meal.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check rice at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Peas - Defrost peas.
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
In a large nonstick stockpot, a wok, or a Dutch oven, heat first portion of oil over medium heat. Add tofu and let it cook on one side until golden brown. Turn tofu, cooking it on all sides until evenly cooked, 8 to 10 minutes total. Season the tofu with some salt as it cooks. Transfer the tofu to a bowl and return the pan to heat.
In the heated pan add the second portion of oil and then garlic, lemongrass, and curry paste. Saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer.
Stir the broccoli into the curry broth and simmer until it is tender but still has some crunch, 3 to 4 minutes. The broccoli won't be completely covered in liquid, so stir it occasionally to make sure that all of the broccoli has some time to simmer in the liquids. (Note: You can cover the pot with a lid to speed this step up a bit.)
Stir the peas and tofu into the curry just to warm them up. Squeeze half the lime wedges into the curry. Taste and season with some additional fish sauce or sugar if you'd like it saltier or sweeter.
If the rice was cooked ahead, reheat it in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
Divide the rice between serving bowls. Ladle curry over the rice and top with cilantro leaves. Serve the curry with hot sauce and remaining lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!