Orzo Salad with feta, broccolini, and chickpeas
With orzo from last night ready to go, this is an easy pasta salad for weeknight eating (or a warm picnic). Sundried tomatoes provide a tasty base to cover your salad ingredients. Our paleo option features salmon in place of the beans and orzo.
- Orzo - 1/2 lb
- Broccolini - 1 lb, chopped
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Sundried tomatoes - 3 Tbsp ((Ideally stored in oil))
- Red wine or sherry vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 1/3 cup
- Parsley - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Garbanzo beans - 2 cups, rinsed and drained ((~1 can))
- Feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Lemon - 1, juice of
- Orzo - If not already cooked yesterday, bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add orzo. Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Broccolini - Chop into 1” (2.5 cm) long segments. Place in a microwave-safe pan and cover with a wet paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Puree Dijon, garlic, sundried tomatoes, vinegar, and olive oil in a food processor or blender (or in the tall cup that should have come with your immersion blender). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley / Garbanzo beans - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Toss orzo with broccolini, parsley, chickpeas, feta, and dressing. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed.
- Don't forget to snap your photos this week and upload them to Instagram with #SpringIntoDinner & @cooksmarts tags to win great prizes (like a $200 Amazon gift card!). Details here.
This meal has 23 reviews
Didn't have broccolini at the store when I went so we substituted broccoli. One of my sons helped prepare this and it was very yummy! Definitely going to make this one again.
Pretty good! Steamed the broccolini instead of microwaving it. My husband usually loathes pasta salad but he enjoyed this. Maybe would add some paprika or something next time to give it a little more flavor?
Good flavor and textures. Makes an enormous amount of food! I ended up adding doubling the feta since it seemed to disappear in the vast pile of orzo and broccolini.
Made with rotisserie chicken instead of garbanzos. Next time will make a faster version without the sundried tomatoes so I don't have to get the food processor dirty.
Forgot the feta. Still plenty of flavor.
Very tasty. Will definitely make again!