Persian-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
with couscous / cucumber and pomegranate salad
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drain and rinse
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Foil - for roasting
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Cucumbers - 1 lb , diced (preferably a seedless variety, like English cucumbers)
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 6 leaves , chopped
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/4 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section; sub chopped nuts or skip)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous, uncooked - 3/4 cup
Make couscous - Combine stock, salt (portion for couscous), and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while beans marinate.) Drain and rinse beans. Combine beans, onions, bell peppers, olive oil (portion for beans), lemon juice (portion for beans), cumin, turmeric, salt (portion for beans), and ground cinnamon. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Line a sheet pan with foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some oil. Spread beans, onions, and peppers out on prepared pan (no need to drain off marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast, stirring halfway through cooking, until vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Just before serving, toss together cucumbers, mint (if using), pomegranate seeds, olive oil (portion for salad), and lemon juice (portion for salad). Season with some salt.
If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve beans over couscous with yogurt on top. Enjoy salad on the side.