Turkey Sausage Breakfast Wrap
with fruit parfait
These paleo-friendly breakfast wraps are great for breakfast-for-dinner but make a great breakfast or lunch, too. The star of the wrap is the homemade turkey sausage that is full of flavor and cooked with mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Coconut Yogurt, paleo-friendly - 1 1/2 cups
- Berries, fresh or frozen - 1 cup , chopped if using large pieces of fruit; defrosted if frozen
- Sage, fresh - 3 leaves , finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , diced
- Mushrooms, any type - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Jicama wraps / taco shells - 8
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Bell peppers - Dice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make sausage seasoning - Finely chop sage and garlic. Combine sage, garlic, dried thyme, and salt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Season turkey - Fold sausage seasoning into turkey until evenly combined. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Make parfaits - Divide coconut yogurt between glasses or small serving bowls. Top with berries.
Heat a nonstick pan with butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and bell peppers and saute until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season lightly with some salt and transfer to a bowl.
Return the pan to the heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add turkey sausage and cook, breaking it apart, until well-browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes more. Stir sausage into mushrooms and peppers.
Assemble wraps by filling each 'tortilla' with sausage and vegetables. Serve with some hot sauce on top if you'd like. Enjoy parfait on the side.