Moroccan Bean Soup
with baby spinach / yogurt / pita bread
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup , chopped (from a jar of roasted peppers)
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, Navy (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Pita bread - 4 rounds
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
Make spice mix. Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
Add tomato paste, garlic, bell peppers, and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
Pour stock over aromatics and add in both types of beans. Simmer for ~5 minutes until beans are warmed through.
Stir in spinach and simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Stir lemon juice and hot sauce (if you’d like it spicy) into soup. Season with some salt and pepper.
Toast pita bread if you’d like it warm.
Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with yogurt and parsley on top and pita bread on the side. Enjoy!