Skillet Zucchini Parmesan
with garlicky breadcrumbs / spaghetti
Our recipe for Weeknight Chicken Parmesan got such great reviews that we wanted to bring back a vegetarian version that worked across many of our diet versions. It proves that this Italian-inspired meal can be hearty and delicious even without the meat.
- Zucchini - 1 lb , cubed
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 3 oz , sliced (sub pre-shredded mozzarella)
- Basil - 8 leaves , chiffonade
- Beans, any white (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Marinara sauce, use your favorite store-bought - 2 cups
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz , grated (plus extra for serving)
- Panko / breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 1/2 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pasta, gluten-free spaghetti - 8 oz
Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss pasta with some oil to minimize sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cheese (both types) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Make breadcrumb topping - Combine garlic, Parmesan cheese, gluten-free panko / breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and olive oil.
Basil - Chiffonade basil.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Turn on the oven’s broiler.
Heat a large oven-safe skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and cook on one side until golden brown. Gently flip and continue cooking until zucchini is tender, ~10 minutes. Season with some salt.
Stir beans and marinara sauce into zucchini.
Top zucchini and beans with mozzarella cheese slices and then with panko topping.
Transfer skillet to oven and broil until cheese is melted and panko is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. (Watch closely so that the panko doesn’t burn.)
If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve zucchini parmesan over pasta. Top with basil. Enjoy!