Butter Chicken Bolognese
with penne / green salad
When our team was brainstorming new meals for this year, we were so excited about this one. It's certainly a blend of cultures and ideas, but the addition of Indian spices to this classic pasta dish is so fun that we're sure you'll love it as much as we do.
- Pasta, gluten-free penne - 8 oz (sub any gluten-free pasta)
- Garam masala - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Green onions (opt) - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined (sub cilantro)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 1 lb
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp (sub butter)
- Heavy cream (opt) - 1/4 cup (sub half and half)
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 6 oz , chopped
- Mixed greens - 8 oz (sub any salad greens)
Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss pasta with some oil to minimize sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make spice mix - Combine garam masala, ground coriander, curry powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Garlic / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, ginger, honey, and turmeric. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (For a very smooth consistency, you can blend everything together.) Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cucumbers / Green onions - Prep as directed.
To chicken add garlic and spice mix. Cook until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, and ghee to chicken and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
Remove the lid and continue cooking, stirring often, until the sauce is rich and thick. Stir in heavy cream and cook one minute more.
Taste sauce and season with some salt and pepper. If you’d like it spicier, add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce of choice.
If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Toss together greens, cucumbers, and dressing until dressed to your liking.
Serve bolognese over pasta with green onions on top. Enjoy salad on the side.