Orange-Sesame Beef Stir-Fry
with red peppers and kale
Fresh orange juice provides a sweet and tart base for this colorful stir-fry dish. Whether you're using steak or tofu, you'll want to coat everything in this base.
Orange-Sesame Beef Stir-Fry:
- Flank or skirt steak - 1 1/4 lbs
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Kale - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Onions - 1 , sliced
- Red peppers - 2 , cored and sliced
- Ginger - 1 inch , grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup ((This is about the juice of 1 large orange))
- Corn starch - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
Rice for Stir-fry:
- Rice (brown or white) - 1 cup , uncooked
- Steak - Slice against the grain. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Rice - Double if making tomorrow night’s dinner. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Kale / Onions / Red peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Grate ginger. Mix ginger with soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange juice, and corn starch.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic, kale stems, and onions with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next add in red peppers and kale leaves, and push all ingredients to the side, forming a donut in the middle of the wok. Give sauce a stir and then pour it into the hole. Let it sit until you see it darken in color and start to bubble a lot. When that happens, toss everything through.
- Add in steak and toss until steak is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in sesame seeds, and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Don't forget to snap your photos this week and upload them to Instagram with #SpringIntoDinner & @cooksmarts tags to win great prizes (like a $200 Amazon gift card!). Details here.