Chicken Paillard with White Wine Pan Sauce
and bulgur / baby kale salad
- Bulgur, uncooked - 1 cup
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved and pounded thin
- Parsley, curly-leaf - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Butter, unsalted - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1 Tbsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, preferably a whole grain variety - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 6 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Cheese, parmesan - 1/4 cup , sliced with a vegetable peeler or grated
- Black pepper - for serving
Cook bulgur - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Combine bulgur with 2x the amount of water (or use stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Parsley - Chop parsley.
In a large mixing bowl. Whisk together lemon juice (portion for salad) and olive oil. Add baby kale and parmesan cheese on top and set aside (wait to toss until just before serving).
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil. Working in batches if needed, sear chicken on both sides until golden and just cooked through, ~3 minutes per side. (Add more oil to the pan if it starts to look dry.) Set chicken aside.
To heated pan add butter. When butter melts, add shallots and saute until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over shallots and stir until no dry spots remain. Slowly pour wine into pan and bring to a simmer. Add stock and simmer liquids until reduced by about half, 3 to 6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in lemon juice (portion for chicken), mustard, and parsley. Add the chicken back to the pan and spoon sauce over top.
If bulgur was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
Serve chicken and sauce over bulgur. Toss salad and top with black pepper. Enjoy!