Oktoberfest Vegetable Sausage Hoagies with Sauerkraut
and arugula salad
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, preferably a whole grain variety - 1 Tbsp
- Sauerkraut - 1 cup , drained well
- Hoagie rolls or hotdog buns - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vegetarian sausages, any type - 4
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Chives (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Baby arugula - 6 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Black pepper - for serving
Make lemon vinaigrette - Whisk together lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make mustard aioli - Whisk together mayonnaise and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cucumbers / Chives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Sauerkraut - Drain sauerkraut. Rinse with cool water first for a milder flavor.
Rolls - Slice open lengthwise.
Pour lemon vinaigrette into a mixing bowl. Add cucumbers, chives, and arugula on top. Set aside until ready to serve.
Assemble hoagies by spreading toasted rolls with mustard aioli. Fill with sausages and sauerkraut.
Toss salad and top with black pepper.
Enjoy hoagies with salad on the side.