Kale and Farro Soup
with veggie and beans
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onion - 1, diced
- Celery - 4 ribs, diced
- Carrots - 2/3 lb, diced ((Or sub 2 cups frozen carrots))
- Kale - 1/2 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained ((~2 cups))
- White beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained ((~2 cups))
- Semi-pearled farro - 1 cup, uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked farro. If you can't find farro, try barley))
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp, dried
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Leftover kale-herb sauce - 1/3 cup
- Garlic / Onions / Celery / Carrots / Kale - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain. (Here's a little tip: any time you add diced tomatoes + liquid / stock + some veggies, you have an easy soup!)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Cook farro - If not done from last night, bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add farro. Cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and kale stems to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, beans, oregano, and stock. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in kale leaves and simmer uncovered for another 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in farro in the last 2 to 3 minutes to warm it up. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide up into bowls and garnish with the kale-herb sauce you made earlier in the week.
Surprisingly delicious for how healthy it is! Doubled the broth and didn't drain the tomatoes. Added the beans with the farro, because they definitely didn't need to cook. Added parmesan and lemon juice at the very end, but it was yummy without that. Would try kidney or garbanzo beans next time, but so good!0 Helpful
So simple and delicious. Filling and satisfying without feeling heavy!0 Helpful
Loved it! Next time will double the chicken stock as we like our soup more brothy. Doubled the kale this time - will do again!0 Helpful
Super-easy if you already made the farro.0 Helpful
Yum. One of the kids said it needed meet. The farro was super good0 Helpful