Kale and Farro Soup
with veggie and beans
You will fall in love with this simple and healthy soup that still manages to be full of flavor. An easy meatless dish, this is a light soup that will transition you into spring. The paleo version substitutes shrimp and zucchini for beans and farro.
Kale and Farro Soup:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onion - 1 , diced
- Celery - 4 ribs , diced
- Carrots - 2/3 lb , diced ((Or sub 2 cups frozen carrots))
- Kale - 1/2 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained ((~2 cups))
- White beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed and drained ((~2 cups))
- Semi-pearled farro - 1 cup , uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked farro. If you can't find farro, try barley))
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp , dried
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Leftover kale-herb sauce - 1/3 cup
- Garlic / Onions / Celery / Carrots / Kale - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain. (Here's a little tip: any time you add diced tomatoes + liquid / stock + some veggies, you have an easy soup!)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Cook farro - If not done from last night, bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add farro. Cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and kale stems to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, beans, oregano, and stock. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in kale leaves and simmer uncovered for another 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in farro in the last 2 to 3 minutes to warm it up. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide up into bowls and garnish with the kale-herb sauce you made earlier in the week.