Mini Bagel Pizzas
and kale salad with lemon garlic dressing
Who can resist bite-sized bagel pizzas for dinner? This fast meal, first featured in 2017, will be an easy win with the whole family.
Smarts: Pepperoni minis make a fun topping, but feel free to add any other vegetables or meats that you prefer.
- Mini bagels, fresh or frozen - 8 (sub whole bagels, 1 per serving)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Tomato sauce - 10 oz
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 6 oz
- Pepperoni minis (opt) - 3/4 cup (sub full-size pepperoni, chopped)
- Kale, curly leaf - 6 oz , stems removed and leaves finely chopped (sub mixed greens)
- Lemon Garlic Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Almonds, sliced - 1 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , drained and rinsed
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 2 Tbsp (sub yogurt)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
Bagels - If using frozen bagels, defrost according to package directions.
Make dressing - Chop garlic and capers. Mix with lemon juice, vinegar, sour cream, mustard, and honey. (Note: For a very smooth vinaigrette, you can blend everything together with an immersion blender, adding water if needed to thin.) Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead and refrigerated)
Shallots / Kale - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make sauce - Stir together shallots, tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, sugar, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Place bagels, cut-side up, on a sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 3 minutes to crisp the tops.
Top bagels with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni (if using). Return to oven and continue baking until cheese is melted, 10 minutes more.
While bagels bake, toss kale with dressing until salad is dressed to your liking. Top with almonds.
Serve pizza bagels with salad on the side. Enjoy!