with broccoli and farro
You'll feel like a restaurant chef when you serve up this chicken piccata, a traditional Italian dish featuring chicken breast that has been pounded thin. The vegetarian version is a seared halloumi with a tasty tomato and caper relish. Yum! For gluten-free folks, we use brown rice instead of farro.
- Chicken breasts - 2 , halved and pounded thin
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lb , chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Semi-pearled farro - 1 cup , uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked farro. If you can't find farro, try barley))
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- White wine (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Chicken stock - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken - Halve and thin out with a tenderizer so it’s about ¼” (0.5 cm) thick. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Place garlic and broccoli in a microwave-safe container, and cover with a wet paper towel. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add farro (double if making tomorrow night’s dinner). Cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix flour with some salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides 3 to 4 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, microwave broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet, set aside, and cover with foil so it continues to cook.
- Return skillet to heat and lower to medium. Add wine (if using) and chicken stock, and scrape up any of the chicken bits from the pan. Simmer until chicken stock reduces down to about 2/3rds. Finish with butter and capers.
- Whisk Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Toss with broccoli. Spoon pan sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley. Serve with broccoli and farro. For farro, remember to set aside half for Thursday’s dinner.