Chicken Soba Noodles
with carrots and cabbage
Soba noodles are made from buckwheat, which isn't wheat at all, so a great gluten-free noodle. They also cook quickly! For this meal, an easy sauce gives simple chicken (or tofu), soba, carrots, and cabbage a lot of flavor. This dish can be easily made in large batches and is great for an easy lunch too. Our paleo version will be using kelp or yam noodles.
Chicken Soba Noodles with Carrots and Cabbage:
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separated
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb
- Buckwheat soba noodles - 1/2 lb
- Carrots - 1 lb , grated
- Green cabbage - 1/2 head , sliced
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Make marinade - Chop green onions (keep white and green parts separate). Whisk together white parts of green onions, brown sugar, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and first part of cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice and pour ¼ of the marinade over the chicken. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Boil noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to packaged instructions. Soba noodles don’t take long to cook, so keep an eye out. After draining, spread noodles out onto a sheet pan which will keep them from sticking.
- Carrots / Cabbage - Prep as directed. To see how to slice cabbage in a food processor, check out this vid. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil and then cabbage and carrots to heated oil. Saute until tender by still crunchy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add noodles and chicken to pan and then pour in the remainder of the sauce. Toss and finish with lime juice and green parts of green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper (or a few drops of hot sauce).