Mexican Toast (Mollete) with Refried Beans
and cheese / pico de gallo / coriander green beans
- Onions, medium and white - 1/2 , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 6 , chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 tsp
- Bread, preferably a soft French-style loaf - 8 slices (sub hoagie rolls or baguette, sliced lengthwise)
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Beans, refried (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 cans
- Cheese, shredded cheddar or Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Make pico de gallo - Combine onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, and cooking oil (portion for pico). Season with some salt.
Turn on the oven’s broiler and place a rack about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source.
While broiler heats up, place a large skillet or wok with cooking oil (portion for green beans) over medium-high heat. Add green beans and saute, letting the beans brown lightly on the bottom of the pan, until tender and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with ground coriander and some salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice over top. Cover to keep warm.
Spread bread out on a sheet pan. Slide sheet pan under the broiler, turning halfway through cooking, until golden brown on both sides. (Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.)
Remove bread from sheet pan and brush with olive oil. Rub the peeled garlic clove onto the bread (this will give all of the bread a light garlic flavor).
Stir refried beans and then spread them over top of bread. Sprinkle with cheese. Return bread to the oven and broil just until cheese is melted, 1 to 3 minutes.
Top bread with pico de gallo. Enjoy with green beans on the side.