with rice / shrimp / mussels
Paella is a popular Spanish rice dish made with fresh seafood, but it can be time-consuming to prepare. This recipe uses all those great Spanish flavors (and the seafood!) and folds them into this weeknight friendly stew that can be made in just a fraction of the time. This meal was last featured in 2017.
Smarts: Mussels are quick-cooking shellfish, but feel free to skip them if you're looking to simplify (or use pre-cooked sausage as a substitute).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 3/4 lb
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Dried saffron (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded (opt) - 3/4 lb (sub pre-cooked or smoked sausage, sliced)
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Wine, white - 1 cup (any dry variety; sub stock)
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Lemon juice - 3 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
Make paella spice mix - Combine salt, paprika, oregano, saffron, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. If using sausage as a substitute, slice sausage. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Peas - Defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
Green onions - Chop.
Pour stock, wine, and tomatoes (including liquid) over vegetables. Add bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
Add mussels (or sausage) to soup and cover. Cook until mussels have opened up, 5 to 6 minutes. (If any mussels don’t open, simply discard them.)
Add shrimp and peas to the soup. Put the lid back on and continue cooking until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Turn off the heat under the soup. Remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and some more lemon juice if you’d like.
Divide rice between bowls. Ladle paella soup over top. Serve with green onions and yogurt.