Cajun Fried Rice with poblanos
Leftover rice from last night's gumbo provides the perfect base for our Cajun take on fried rice. We have a slightly different take on New Orleans holy trifecta with poblanos instead of traditional bells. Combined with some spiced up ground turkey or beans, you have an easy one-pot dish to end the week with!
- Ground turkey - 1 lb
- Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced or crushed
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Celery - 3 stalks, diced
- Poblanos - 2 , diced ((Poblanos are a dark green pepper and are more narrow and long compared to green peppers. Substitute green peppers if you can't find them.))
- Roma tomatoes - 4, diced
- Leftover rice - 2 1/2 cups
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, add in white parts of green onions, celery, and poblanos with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Mix in ground turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Saute until cooked through and browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add in rice and chopped tomatoes. Toss until everything is warmed through and remove from heat.
- Squeeze in lime juice and then season to taste with more salt, pepper, cajun spice, or paprika (and of course a few shakes of hot sauce too if you like). Serve garnished with green parts of green onions.
This meal has 20 reviews
Pulled this from the archive because it sounded really good. Ended up being kind of bland. The 4-serving recipe also makes a huge amount of food. Easily 5 servings.
Very good! A meal you can serve all in one bowl is always the top of my list. This is a great recipe for a quick dinner, or spin off many variations.
This was really great. Nice flavors, but not too spicy, The pablanos were what really made this dish. Very easy as well.
Could have used a bit more pop of flavor, but great base recipe.
I absolutely loved this. The flavors were fantastic and I loved having leftovers. The next day, I added a little shredded cheese and used it as filling for burritos.
Loved this! Used half the rice and couldn't find pablanos so had to use green peppers. Delicious one pot meal that came together so quickly (I chopped at nap time). Took others suggestions about adding extra Cajun seasoning at the end, was a hit with hungry husband too.