Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Made with wholesome lentils, whole grains, and no added sugar besides the chocolate chips, these healthy double-chocolate banana muffins make a great dessert or sweet snack!
- Lentils, cooked - 1 cup , French or green (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Bananas, overripe - 3 medium
- Cooking oil - 5 tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Rolled oats - 2/3 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 2/3 cup
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder, unsweetened - 1/3 cup
- Chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly grease the cups of a muffin pan (or mini-muffin pan) with some oil or cooking spray.
In a blender, combine cooked lentils, bananas, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Blend just until mostly smooth, about 15-20 seconds.
Add the oats and pulse the blender 5-10 times.
In a mixing bowl, combine lentil mixture with flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, gently stir by hand until just incorporated.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, about 1⁄4 cup for regular muffins, or 1 generous tablespoon for mini muffins. Bake for 18-20 minutes for regular muffins, or 12-14 minutes for mini muffins. Allow muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan. Enjoy!