Roux-less Andouille Gumbo over rice
While I love traditional roux-based (flour + butter) gumbo, I'm going to leave that to the professional New Orleans cooks. A roux-free gumbo packed with vegetables (especially New Orleans' holy trifecta of onions, peppers, and celery) and the flavor of andouille or vegan sausage is a delicious and light weeknight take. If you already know you're not an okra fan, substitute zucchini.
- Rice - 1 1/2 cups, uncooked ((Use white rice or substitute 4 1/2 cups cooked))
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped
- Onions - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Green peppers - 1, diced
- Red peppers - 1, diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb, sliced ((If you know you don't like okra, substitute 2 chopped zucchini))
- Andouille sausage - 1 lb, chopped
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained ((If you can find fire-roasted ones, they'll be great in this))
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - This makes enough for tomorrow night’s dinner. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Onions / Celery / Peppers / Okra (or okra substitute) / Sausage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liter) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, celery, peppers, paprika and a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for ~5 minutes. Next add in okra, sausage, diced tomatoes, and stock. Cover, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until veggies reach the texture you like (I prefer mine still a bit crunchy).
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, or even some hot sauce! Serve over rice and top with green onions.
This meal has 27 reviews
This was only ok. Mine was soupy, but admittedly I forgot to drain the tomatoes. I still think it would have been pretty runny if I had remembered. I added a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in water at the end to try and compensate and that worked alright. Definitely bland without the addition of the hot sauce.
Seconds were had by many - and plenty leftover for other nights/lunches/etc. We are happy campers!
We used a vegan chipotle sausage which was not great and zucchini. Probably would have a 2 star rating with a better sausage.
Hot sauce was definitely needed, but we all liked this. Used zucchini instead of okra.
This had good flavor to it. Nice to see what goes into having gumbo taste.
I thought this meal was just okay. Per other reviews, I added some garlic and decreased the amount of liquid in the recipe, but I still thought there just wasn't quite enough flavor. My husband liked it more than I did, though!