Tom Kha Ramen
with chickpeas / baby corn / zucchini / mushrooms
This Thai-inspired soup, last featured in 2021, has become a staple in Cook Smarts meal plans and it always gets great reviews for being flavorful and fast. This time around we’re updating it with chickpeas and noodles to make a Thai flavored ramen.
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Baby corn (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Zucchini - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , thinly sliced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , torn
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Noodles, ramen - 3 oz (you can use Instant Ramen but discard the seasoning packet before using)
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
Baby corn - Rinse and drain. Slice in half lengthwise (optional). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
Pour in coconut milk, stock, soy sauce (if you are okay using fish sauce instead, it does give the broth a deep flavor), and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
Add zucchini, beans, and baby corn and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in tomatoes and noodles. Let noodles soak in hot soup until tender. Check the package instructions for recommended time, but it should take about 5 minutes.
Season with hot sauce and more soy sauce if it’s not savory / salty enough. Remove lemongrass stalks before serving.
Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges.