Cajun Shrimp Po' Boy
with chips / pickles
With its totally simple sides and quick prep, this meal will have you dreaming of summer. This meal was last featured in 2020.
Smarts: Previous versions of this Po' Boy included tomato slices in the sandwich - feel free to include those if you can get your hands on a good tomato!
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Pickle juice (opt) - 1/2 tsp (from a jar of pickles)
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , leaves torn (sub green leaf lettuce)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hoagie buns - 4 (sub hotdog buns)
- Pickles, sliced or whole, for serving (opt) - 6 oz
- Chips, for serving - 4 cups
Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry. Combine with Cajun seasoning (the portion for the shrimp) and some salt and pepper.
Make creamy Cajun sauce - Combine mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning (the portion for the sauce), garlic powder, mustard, pickle juice, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lettuce / Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shrimp. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on their size).
Toast hoagie / hotdog buns.
Assemble sandwiches by brushing the insides of the rolls with half of the Creamy Cajun Sauce. Add lettuce and then shrimp. Drizzle remaining sauce over top and finish with green onions.
Serve sandwiches with lemon wedges to squeeze over top of the shrimp. Enjoy with pickles and chips on the side.