Spanish Andouille and Vegetable Soup
with cilantro sauce
- Cilantro leaves - 1 cup
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , chopped, seeds and pith removed if you'd like it to be less spicy
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Green beans - 8 oz , trimmed and chopped (can use chopped frozen or canned green beans to save time)
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Sausage, andouille - 6 oz , sliced or chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Bay leaf - 1
Make cilantro sauce - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Combine cilantro leaves, jalapenos, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic (portion for sauce), and salt. Blend with an immersion blender or standing blender until nearly smooth. Taste and season with some additional salt, if needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan with cooking oil over medium heat. Add onions and sausage saute until onions are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic (portion for soup), paprika, and some salt and saute for 1 minute more.
Add in stock, bell pepers, bay leaf, green beans, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until green beans are tender (for fresh green beans this may take 10 to 15 minutes; for frozen or canned, they should be already tender, so just remove the soup from heat and cover to keep it warm).
Taste soup and season with some salt. (You can also add some lemon juice if you’d like.)
Serve soup with cilantro sauce swirled into each bowl. Enjoy!