Honey Adobo Chopped Salad
with avocado / queso fresco / black beans / tortilla chips
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry (opt) - 1 cup, halved
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 oz, crumbled
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz, crumbled (sub Mexican or cheddar cheese, shredded)
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Make Adobo dressing - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, paprika, and sour cream. Add oil (portion for dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil (for salad). Add corn and beans and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of dressing and saute for 1 minute more.
Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Crumble tortilla chips into salad. Add dressing and toss until dressed to your liking.
Top salad with corn / black beans and cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
I liked this because the elements deconstructed decently for my four old and then I mixed everything together for the adults. I didn’t have lettuce on hand, only kale, so dressed the kale in an olive oil/lime juice/garlic/salt/pepper dressing to soften it up. To the marinade/dressing, added garlic, shallots and some orange juice and upped the honey due to spice sensitive family members. Yum!!0 Helpful
Every cooksmarts salad I’ve made is saved as a favorite - so good!0 Helpful
Simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Everyone liked this and super easy. I did as deconstructed and let everyone assemble their own. Lots of takers in the veggies.0 Helpful
Very yummy0 Helpful
Delicious! Dressing was great. If I'd had another avocado, I'd have added that.0 Helpful