Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad
with avocado / bell peppers / pepitas
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry (opt) - 1 cup , halved
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/3 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Make Adobo marinade / dressing - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade / dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bell peppers - Slice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade / dressing (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
Top salad with chicken and pepitas. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!