Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad
with avocado / queso fresco / black beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry (opt) - 1 cup, halved
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz, crumbled (sub Mexican or cheddar cheese, shredded)
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Make Adobo marinade / dressing - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade / dressing) while whisking. (Wait to add sour cream.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade / dressing (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Whisk sour cream into remaining half of Adobo marinade.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first portion of oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
Set chicken aside and add second portion of cooking oil (for salad) to heated skillet. Add corn and beans and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes.
Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
Top salad with chicken, corn / black beans, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Every cooksmarts salad I’ve made is saved as a favorite - so good!0 Helpful
Simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Everyone liked this and super easy. I did as deconstructed and let everyone assemble their own. Lots of takers in the veggies.0 Helpful
Very yummy0 Helpful
Delicious! Dressing was great. If I'd had another avocado, I'd have added that.0 Helpful
Subbed bbq sauce for the adobo, very happy with that. Ended up much too big and had to eat out of a mixing bowl 🤦♀️0 Helpful