Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad
with avocado / queso fresco / black beans
This colorful meal has a honey adobo dressing that is used both to marinate the chicken and dress the salad so you get maximum flavor in the finished dish. This salad was last featured in 2020.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry (opt) - 1 cup , halved
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz , crumbled (sub Mexican or cheddar cheese, shredded)
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Make Adobo marinade / dressing - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade / dressing) while whisking. (Wait to add sour cream.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade / dressing (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Green onions / Lettuce / Cucumbers / Tomatoes (if using) / Avocados / Limes - Prep as directed.
Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Whisk sour cream into remaining half of Adobo marinade.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first portion of oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
Set chicken aside and add second portion of cooking oil (for salad) to heated skillet. Add corn and beans and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes.
Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
Top salad with chicken, corn / black beans, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!