Grilled Cheese with Prosciutto and Kale
and panko avocado fries
I know how much you all love your grilled cheese and this version packs in kale leaves, prosciutto slices, and more of that delicious artichoke-spinach pesto. This time we're pairing it with baked avocado fries, which I had for the first time at brunch a few months ago. It was amazing, and I'm excited to have you all give it a try with a great garlicky-lemon dip.
Grilled Cheese with Artichoke-Spinach Pesto:
- Kale - 2 stalks , leaves of
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Cheese - 8 slices ((Try gruyere, swiss, gouda))
- Leftover artichoke-spinach pesto - 3/4 cup
- Prosciutto - 8 slices
Panko Avocado Fries:
- Flour - 1/4 cup
- Egg - 1 , whisked
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Avocado - 2 , sliced into wedges
Garlic and Parsley Dip:
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Parsley - 3 sprigs , chopped ((loosely packed))
- Greek yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make dipping sauce for avocado fries - Mince garlic and chop parsley. Mix with Greek yogurt, mayo, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Kale - Peel off leaves. If making tomorrow’s meal, go ahead and prep all the kale leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep breading stations - 1) In one bowl, mix flour with some salt and pepper; 2) In a second bowl, lightly whisk egg. If you like spice, add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce; 3) In a third bowl, mix together panko, paprika, some salt and pepper, and cooking oil.
- Avocado - Slice into wedges.
- Preheat oven to 450F (232C) degrees. Place a wired cooling rack into a sheet pan.
- Dip avocado wedges into flour, then egg, and then panko. Place breaded wedges on cooling rack. I found it pretty quick to do wedges one at a time. Shake and bake doesn’t quite work as well with delicate avocado wedges. Continue until done and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the panko gets golden.
- Microwave kale leaves for 1 minute, until wilted, on a microwave-safe plate.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 tbs. (7.4 ml) of butter each. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with 1 cheese slice, pesto, kale leaves, 2 prosciutto slices, 2nd cheese slice, and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- Enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches with avocado fries dipped into your creamy dip!