Taco Salad with Ground Turkey
and creamy avocado dressing
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz , shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4 , chopped
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, cheddar (opt) - 4 oz , grated
- Tortilla chips, gluten-free - 4 cups
- Avocados - 1
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make avocado dressing - Cube avocados. Combine avocados with water, vinegar, lime juice, honey, mustard, and hot sauce. Use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend until smooth, adding more water as needed until the mixture is smooth and pourable. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Season turkey - Combine turkey with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed.
Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute until turkey is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Finish with turkey and cheese.
Top salads with dressing. Serve with tortilla chips (crumble these over top or use them to scoop up the other ingredients). Enjoy!