North African Spiced Bean Stew
with sweet potatoes / lentils / chard
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Allspice (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz , peeled and diced
- Turnips - 6 oz , peeled and diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 6 oz , leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Pita bread - 4 rounds , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Lentils, uncooked red - 1/2 cup (sub any color lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
Make spice mix - Combine paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Pita - Slice pita into wedges.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then turnips, onions, and chard stems. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and spice mix. Saute for 1 minute.
Pour stock over soup base and bring to a simmer. Add in sweet potatoes, lentils, and chard leaves.
Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender and lentils are fully cooked, ~15 minutes. (Note: If not using red lentils, check the package for recommended cook time.)
Remove lid and stir in beans. Simmer for 2 minutes more.
Remove stew from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt.
Toast pita wedges.
Serve stew with yogurt on top and pita wedges on the side.