Baked Potato Bar
with broccoli / bacon / beans / cheese / olives / tomatoes
- Potatoes, medium russet - 4 , halved lengthwise
- Cheese, cheddar - 4 oz , grated
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , diced
- Broccoli - 8 oz , chopped
- Green onions - 1 Tbsp , chopped, white and green parts combined
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4 , diced
- Olives, black and sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, pinto (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Foil - for baking
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Salsa - 1/4 cup
- Butter (opt) - for serving
Potatoes - Wash and scrub potatoes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Broccoli - Place broccoli into a microwave-safe container, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave until tender, ~2 minutes. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Green onions / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Olives - Drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Line a sheet pan with foil.
Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and rub on all sides with some oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on sheet pan. Season the tops with some salt. Transfer to the oven and roast until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, ~30 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and fry on both sides until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes total.
Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of bacon grease. Return pan to heat.
Add beans to heated pan. Saute beans until warmed through. Add chili powder and cumin and saute for 1 minute more. Season with a pinch of salt if needed.
Set out toppings - bacon, cheese, onions, broccoli, green onions, tomatoes, olives, beans, sour cream, and salsa.
Spread butter on each potato half (if using) and gently mash with a fork. Have everyone top their potatoes at the table and enjoy!