This lentil soup is made even more comforting with soft gnocchi dumplings. Our paleo members will be enjoying this as a bison-based chili and the gluten-free version features white beans.
- French, green, or black lentils - 2/3 cup, dried ((Sub 1 1/2 cups of cooked lentils))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Celery - 3 ribs, diced
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, diced ((Or sub 8 oz. frozen))
- Gnocchi - 1/2 lb ((Or use a full package))
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Thyme - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken stock - 2 1/2 cups
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and then cook gnocchi according to packaged instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, toss in onions, celery, and carrots with thyme and a dash of salt. Saute for ~3 minutes. Add in lentils and then stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes (may take longer if lentils were not soaked overnight).
- Stir in cooked gnocchi and season to taste with salt and pepper.
I liked this soup, but I have to admit that I doctored it up a bit after reading some of the reviews. I added some white wine and a bay leaf and some extra thyme. Then I served it with pesto and hot chili oil.0 Helpful
Bland. I agree with Kate, I would age sausage or some kind of meat instead of gnocchi. Also, it needed some seasonings and more broth!0 Helpful
I add sausage and don't add gnocchi, so I am not sure it counts, but it is a big hit in my house0 Helpful
I mixed in some tortellini with the gnocchi - it was really good!0 Helpful
Kids liked it too0 Helpful
This soup was very filling and hearty! I really liked having leftovers for lunch!0 Helpful