Mushu Chicken Wraps
with carrots / shiitakes / cabbage
Mushu Chicken Wraps are a classic Chinese take-out item that are easy and fast to make at home. We last featured this recipe in 2019, and it got great reviews for being quick and using few dishes to cook. Tortillas make a great stand-in for the authentic 'mushu' wrappers.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 1 Tbsp (sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 8 oz , finely diced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 8
- Hoisin sauce - for serving (sub Sriracha)
Ginger - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together ginger, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Carrots - Dice carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Green onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Chicken - Slice into thin strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots and mushrooms. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
Add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and coleslaw mix with a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes to get coleslaw started cooking.
Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Place chicken in the donut hole. Give your sauce a stir and then pour it over the chicken.
Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Continue to stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (since the chicken has been sliced into thin strips, this shouldn't take more than another 4 to 5 minutes).
Warm tortillas according to package directions.
Let everyone assemble their own mushu wraps using hoisin (or Sriracha), filling, and green parts of green onion. Enjoy!