Stir-Fried Chicken Noodles with spinach and Sriracha
This noodle dish is coated in a savory-Asian based tomato stir-fry sauce. Plus it's a great way to get a huge filling of spinach. They wilt in a flash and you've gotten your greens for the day. Top with as much Sriracha as you want, depending on the heat level folks want.
- Chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced ((Or thighs if you prefer dark meat))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Roma tomatoes - 4, chopped
- Lo-mein noodles - 1/2 lb ((Or sub linguine or other long thickish noodle))
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Corn starch - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1/2 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 8 oz
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Sriracha hot sauce - to taste ((Or use your favorite hot sauce))
- Chicken - Slice and then season with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add noodles. Cook according to package instructions and then drain. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Mix together soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, first part of corn starch, and chicken stock.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Toss chicken with second part of corn starch. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil with a dash of salt. Toss and saute until the exterior is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove and set aside (don't worry, chicken doesn't have to be cooked all the way through).
- Return wok to heat and add second part of oil. Add garlic to heated oil, and as soon as you can smell the garlic, throw in the tomatoes. Saute until tomatoes have broken down and started to release liquids, ~5 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok and push everything to the side forming a donut in the middle. Stir your sauce and then pour into the donut. When it starts to bubble and thicken, toss in spinach and cooked noodles, and mix everything together. Finish with lemon juice and season with as much Sriracha as you want and salt and pepper as needed.
This meal has 37 reviews
My husband and I really liked this, but the kids weren't fans. The tomatoes and lemon made it a little too acidic for them. Next time I might try half the tomatoes and sub in other veggies that I know they like (probably broccoli and carrots). I would also add the lemon juice after plating so we can omit it from the kids' portions.
I'd like to experiment a bit with the flavors of this soup, but it was still mighty tasty!
The lemon and sriracha to finish it is genius!
The sauce had great flavor. Too many noodles for us, but I think that was my error, I didn't check the package carefully. We will absolutely make again with fewer noodles.
I think I would've like this much better if it were with tofu or more veggies than chicken.
Kids loved it!