Pan-Seared Polenta with Olive-Caper Sauce
lemony kale and feta salad
- Olives, kalamata, pitted - 1/2 cup , finely chopped
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , rinsed and drained
- Mushrooms, cremini (sub white button) - 6 oz , sliced
- Polenta, pre-cooked (often sold in 18 oz / 510 g tube) - 18 oz , cut into ½” / 1.25 cm slices
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cucumber - 8 oz , chopped
- Cheese, feta - 2 oz , crumbled
- Baby kale - 5 oz (sub large kale leaves, thinly sliced or arugula)
Make vinaigrette - Combine lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Whisk while slowly adding olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Olives / Capers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Cucumbers / Cheese - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Polenta - Cut into 1/2" / 1.25 cm slices. Season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat and add first part of cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add polenta. Sear until golden brown and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer polenta to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Return skillet to heat. Add second part of oil and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender and golden brown, ~5 minutes. Add olives, capers, and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add stock slowly while whisking to combine with other ingredients. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until sauce thickens slightly, ~4 minutes.
Pour sauce over polenta. Toss kale with cucumbers, feta, and vinaigrette and top with some black pepper. Serve polenta with salad on the side and enjoy!