Zucchini and White Bean Linguini in White Wine Sauce
with butter lettuce salad
- Zucchini - 1 lb , cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Chives - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemons - 1 , zest and wedges
- Beans, any white variety (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Pasta, linguini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or fettucine)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (look for a dry variety; sub any type of stock)
- Creme fraiche - 1/3 cup
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - for serving
- Chives - 2 tsp , chopped
- Cucumbers - 6 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, butter or bibb - 6 cups , torn or chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
Chives (for pasta and salad) / Lemons - Chop chives. Zest lemons and then slice into wedges. Store chives, lemon zest, and lemon wedges separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
While water comes to a boil, in a large salad bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Pile cucumbers, lettuce, and chives (portion for salad) on top of dressing. Wait to toss until just before serving.
When salted water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions. Near the end of cooking, reserve ¼ cup / 60 mL of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing). Drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil (portion for linguini) in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add zucchini and cook until deep golden brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Set zucchini aside. Leave pan over heat.
To heated pan, add butter and then shallots and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
Pour white wine over aromatics and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute.
Whisk in creme fraiche and simmer until slightly thickened, 3 minutes more.
Add pasta, beans, zucchini, and lemon zest to sauce and toss everything together until pasta is coated in sauce. As you toss the pasta, add in reserved pasta water a little at a time to help the sauce coat the pasta.
Taste pasta and season with some salt, if needed.
Transfer pasta to a serving platter and top with chives, red pepper flakes (if using), and some fresh black pepper. Serve lemon slices on the side (for squeezing over the top).
Toss salad. Enjoy pasta with salad!